Friday 20 July 2012

Wagamama (Cheshire Oaks) Review

Last Saturday (14th July), me and my boyfriend were celebrating our 4 year anniversary and we decided (I forced him) to go out for a meal. Normally we'd go to a brasserie or Italian, because they're always a fail safe, but I'm currently in the midst of a noodle obsession, so I managed to drag him to Wagamama. I've never been before, but there's a similar place where I go to university; every time I want to go my friends refuse because 'Wagamama is so much better'. I guess i wanted to see what all the fuss was about.
So anyway, we went. When we got there it was busy so we had to wait awhile (you're not allowed to book for parties under 6, I checked). When we sat down, a waitress came over within 5 minutes to take our drinks order. The wine list wasn't very extensive, and I wanted to try saké, but my boyfriend wouldn't share with me so maybe next time...
We both ordered ramen noodles and sides, he had the seafood ramen and duck gyoza (deep fried dumplings), and I had the vegetarian one, Saien Soba, and prawns deep fried in panko breadcrumbs. My ramen was delicious, the portions of ramen are HUGE because it's broth and noodles that comes in a huge bowl, so I barely got past the half way mark. And I'm finally mastering chop sticks (though I'll never get how people eat rice with them O:). I tried some of my boyfriend's seafood ramen as well, but it was more plain than mine. The broth was vegetable, instead of fish so there wasn't much of a seafood taste about it... it also came with smooth dory which I've never had before, but I was sadly disappointed by it. It didn't have much flavour, so it wasn't helped by the lack of flavour in the soup too. But the squid was cooked perfectly and not rubbery in the slightest. On the plus side, he said his duck Gyoza were AMAZING, and he'd go back just for them! I couldn't try them, being vegetarian 'n' all. Well, technically pescetarian now (:.
There were about 12 things I wanted to try on the menu, so I'll definitely be going back again. I already know what I'm going to have next time I go. The one thing I will say is, don't go there on a first date, slurping noodles is less than flattering.


Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment